Saturday, June 25, 2011

The place to NOT find a date!

In Utah, if you have kids and you are getting a divorce, you are required by law to attend a divorced parenting class to give you tips on helping your kids through the divorce. I actually think it's a good idea. I enjoyed the class and learned a lot. Sure a lot of it was common sense, but some of it was things that I hadn't even thought of, so it was an acceptable use of my morning and my $60. The class lasted several hours, so they gave us a break every now and then. Before the class started I was really impressed with how friendly people were. I walked in, and instantly some guys pointed out a free seat by them that I could sit in. Then we had a good conversation - you know, get to know you stuff, and whatever. But the class started right away, so we didn't have a lot of time to talk. When the break came one of the guys near me offered to show a bunch of us the bathroom and vending machines. (this wasn't his first time in the divorced parenting class... so either he is starved for a good time, or this wasn't his first divorce... either way, he knew the ropes, and I was happy to get a chocolate fix) When we got back to the classroom, I was shocked at what I found. People were exchanging numbers... like for a date! I'm sorry, but don't you think DIVORCE CLASS is the WORST place possible to find a date?! Alright, so maybe not the WORST, there are probably worse places, like...um... prison, or the Gyno maybe, but divorce class has to be on the top 5 list I would think. So it was pretty gagtastic to me, and I declined a few times using the excuse that I wasn't actually divorced yet. (FYI NO ONE was divorced yet, you couldn't get divorced without the signature of the teacher...) Same thing happened at the next break, but this time I noticed a group of people who weren't exchanging numbers and moved out of the "hot seat" to a place next to them.
Then, the last hour of class was opened up for questions. The class was taught by a psychologist, and his advice and perspective was good, so I took advantage of the situation. I had been pretty worried about how Ethan would handle the whole situation. (he has special needs and abandonment issues, so I was worried about how to make him understand it all without feeling out of control. At that point he had been handling it super well. We had great communication, and while he didn't like the situation, he seemed to have a really good grasp on what was going on. I was wondering if that was normal, or if I should expect a blow up at any moment. I also wanted to know of any tips for special needs kids, etc.) A guy nearby -in the non-scuzzy group- mentioned that he had a daughter with Autism, and was concerned about her too. We had a great conversation about it, and both of us got some great advice from the teacher. At the end of the class people who didn't come together were leaving together. There was even some hand holding - I'm not even kidding, you and I BOTH wish I was. Yucky! The guy with the autistic daughter, Sean, approached me and we talked a little bit more about our situations. He was super nice, and seemed like he sincerely cared about his kids,( who he had sole custody of - not that it matters, it just made me feel good about him. ) When I was leaving he asked if he could have my number so we could talk more about our kids and their reactions. (I know what you're thinking, but seriously, the thought never crossed my mind.) At the time I had a photography studio, so I gave him my card with my number on it. He asked if I took pictures, I said yes, he needed some new family pictures -minus the wife- so we set up an appointment for me to do it the next weekend. Throughout the week he called a couple of times to ask me autism questions. He was super nice, and I was happy to have someone to talk to that knew what I was going through. So the day came when we had scheduled the shoot. He picked me up so that he could take me to a spot he had picked out for the pictures. They turned out stunning. His ex wife had the kids for the night, so he dropped them off on the way to drop me off. Then we decided to get ice cream to celebrate the fact that my divorce was finalized the day before. (it was a super fast divorce because of the circumstances, and it really was worth celebrating) Then he took me home. I am not even kidding that I thought we were out on business, not pleasure. I had no idea that we were on a date until he walked me to the door and went in for a kiss! I used my super fast karate chop moves and blocked him as I shouted "I CAN'T DATE YET!" It was not smooth. Not at all.
Needless to say we didn't call and talk about our kids anymore after that. And the next time I went on a date I asked if it was one, just to be sure:)

No comments:

Post a Comment